us on the
Shipton-under-Wychwood Information and History
Shipton-under-Wychwood was once the centre of the great Wychwood Forest.
The mainly 15th century Shaven Crown Hotel was once a guest house run by the monks of Bruern Abbey, and is claimed to have a licence since 1384. The Shaven Crown overlooks a fine and wide village green to Shipton's tall-spired church. The church has a Norman tower and a 15th century vaulted porch. IT contains a 15th century stone pulpit, a large font of the same period and a Tudor wall monument .
About 2 miles south-east is the farmhouse of Langley, a largely mid 19th century building on the site of a royal hunting lodge. Most of the tudor monarchs stayed here when hunting in the Wychwood Forest.